One Month Before Your Move
- Use a folder to carry necessary documentation pertaining to your move.
- Create deadlines and reminders around your moving date.
- Have a yard sale to rid yourself of old belongings or unnecessary and unwanted items.
- Items you can’t sell at your garage sales can be picked up by charity organizations.
- Begin collecting boxes, tape, pads, and other moving supplies.
- Begin to forget all of your warm clothes if you’re moving to Arizona.
- Reserve a moving truck and/or trailer.
- Ensure you have proper information for your new residence. Locate doctor’s offices and document schooling information.
- Make sure you’ve organized the necessary documentation needed for the loan process before you begin moving.
- Transfer your insurance policies and begin to update address.
Three Weeks Before the Move
- Schedule your utility transfer dates. (Shutoff and turn on.)
- Inform those you are affiliated with about your move.
- Donate canned foods and non perishable items to the local food bank or church.
- Update your voter information and verify the change of address,
- Contact your subscriptions and update new address.
- Contact and update the post office and forward mail.
- Keep records of your moving expenses for tax deduction purposes.
Two Weeks Before the Move
- Transfer your stocks, bonds, bank accounts, and safety deposit box contents nearby.
- Keep clothing you’ll need readily available while beginning to pack and store additional clothing items.
- Double check your list to ensure you are on track for a successful move.
One Week Before the Move
- Drain water from your hoses, remove fuel/oil from machinery, and make sure you use the remainder of your propane.
- Throw away aerosol, paint, oils, and any other flammable/ toxic chemicals prior to moving.
- Regarding items you may need, label them and organize them in the same area.
- Make sure pest control services your new home prior to moving, especially if it is newly built.
- After cleaning out the fridge, let it air out for 24 hours.
- RELAXATION is key! Moving to Arizona is exciting but don’t forget to enjoy it!
- If you’re loading items that you’ll need first, make sure you load them LAST.
- Once everything is removed from your home, participate in a final walk-through. You’ll want to inspect storage areas as well as behind doors, stairwells, and outside of the home.
- Ensure your new home is clean and have a plan on where you want to place everything before you and your belonging arrive.
- Enjoy your new home by sitting back and relaxing. There’s no need to unpack everything right away!